Share this listing:
Hundertwasser Art Centre with Wairau Māori Art Gallery is a unique landmark on the Hātea loop in Whangārei. The iconic building will present Hundertwasser’s artistic legacy from 1973-2000, highlighting his time in New Zealand. Visitors will also discover Wairau Māori Art Gallery and a theatre, activity centre, Aqua Restaurant & Bar, afforested rooftop, and a museum store with unique products.
Accessible features from the Operators website:
- A lift is available to move between floors
- The Hundertwasser Art Centre has undulating floors similar to what you would experience in nature. There are pathways for wheelchairs throughout the building
- Two wheelchairs are available from the front desk. you will need to reserve these in advance of your visit to ensure availability.
- There is a ramp to the restaurant on the Marian side of the Town Basin
- Guide dogs and assistance dogs are welcome
- There are mobility car spaces in the public car parks, a short distance from the Art Centre
- Access to the roof is restricted to ticket holders and is via the stairwell or lift.
- Guided Tours are available Tuesday – Friday. Please let us know in advance if you have an impairment which might impact your experiences.
Useful Tips from recent visitors:
- The chair lift takes you right to the top, however it does have a total weight limit of 380 kilos and it also has a pull down seat in it which has a weight limit of 150 kilos.
- The chair lift has broken down a few times with Power Chairs.
- The bathrooms were average and wouldn’t be adequate for a lot of people that require more room or a changing table.