old 5175292 960 720 1 400x400 - ACC Support

ACC Support

Navigating ACC can be a bit overwhelming at times. Since it is such a large organisation, there is a lot of information to look through. Sometimes knowing if you are covered and what you are covered for can feel like a guessing game.

So we went through all the available information on ACC’s website and found all the answers to what ACC will cover, who is eligible and how to make a claim with ACC. See below for the answers to the questions we get asked most frequently using the information on ACC’s website. If the question you were looking for isn’t here, flick us an email at [email protected] or call 0800 864 2529 and we will do our best to answer your ACC related questions.

ACC covers a wide variety of injury related costs. They may assist you to pay for the costs related to your healing or rehabilitation process. This could include payments towards transport costs, medical bills, treatment, help at home/work and help with your income.

Am I Covered By ACC?

Most injuries are covered by ACC. ACC operates under a no-fault cover scheme which means it doesn’t matter when you were injured or who was at fault, ACC will cover your costs so long as the injury falls under their legislation.

ACC may cover the following

  • sprains or strains – such as the ankle, back, knee or shoulder sprains
  • dislocations
  • fractures
  • wounds – cut, broken or bruised skin
  • Serious injuries and disabilities
  • burns
  • dental injuries
  • hearing loss
  • concussion and loss of consciousness.
  • an injury directly caused by treatment from a registered health professional
  • Conditions that come on gradually from work
  • Mental injuries (caused by a physical injury already covered by ACC).
  • Dental injuries caused by an accident, sporting injury or as a result of medical or dental treatment.
  • Sexual violence support


ACC does not cover:

  • illness, sickness, or contagious diseases
  • stress, hurt feelings or other emotional issues (unless linked to a covered injury)
  • conditions related to ageing
  • most hernias
  • injuries that happen over time (unless a workplace activity is the cause)
  • damage to items that don’t replace body parts ex hearing aids, glasses, pacemakers, gastric bands ect.
  • if you have appendicitis and need an emergency trip to the hospital
  • you get skin burn from the sun, wind or snow
  • unexplained back pain


If you are unsure if your injury is covered, please contact your doctor, physio or local healthcare provider to advise. If they think you will be covered, they can make a claim to ACC on your behalf. For more info : https://www.acc.co.nz/im-injured/what-we-cover/injuries-we-cover/

Easy, just follow these simple steps

  1. Visit Your Healthcare Provider
  2. Ask your healthcare provider to make a claim
  3. Pay for part of your appointment
  4. ACC will contact you to confirm if your claim has been approved
  5. Explore ACC Support Options including transport, help at home, equipment and financial support if you cannot work or have a permanent injury.

More info: https://www.acc.co.nz/im-injured/what-to-do/

If covered, ACC is obligated to help with your transport costs and may cover the cost if a rental from Freedom Mobility. Call ACC or your coordinator and ask about your transport options. You can request a Freedom Mobility vehicle from ACC and send them one of our quotes. If approved, we would get the car to you within a week of the approval. If you are struggling with this process, give us a call. We are happy to help. https://www.acc.co.nz/im-injured/types-of-ongoing-support/transport/